My Voice

... an ongoing, honest conversation with myself and my friends about life, love, heartache and forgiveness. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time ...

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Poetry For Today

About a month after Tori and I separated, I wrote this little poem and submitted it to a poetry website. About a month later, I received a nice letter in the mail informing me that my poem had been selected by a panel of judges to be included in an upcoming published book of poetry. I guess I should be pleased. I kept reading waiting to see how to get my free copy. Surprise, no free copy. As a matter of fact, I had to purchase my copy if I wanted one. For about $60.00! A big, tome-like coffee table book of poems. I declined. So maybe it got published anyway. Who knows.

Waking up alone.
I never thought I'd have to do it again.
I feel warm breath on my cheek and smile as I open my eyes.
It's only the cat.
Waking up with the cat is still waking up alone.
Because you're not here.
Because you'll never be here again.
Because I couldn't give you what you need.
Some other man is no longer waking up alone.
And I'm still crying myself to sleep.
And waking up alone.


Not exactly Robert Frost .... or maybe I should say Emily Dickenson.
But it's how I feel everyday.
The pain just doesn't get any better.
Time does heal all wounds. I know this for sure. But how long? How long?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home