My Voice

... an ongoing, honest conversation with myself and my friends about life, love, heartache and forgiveness. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time ...

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Playing Hooky ....


I played hooky from work today! And it felt great!

They've really cracked down on us lately on the amount of sick days we can take and how we rack up "occurrences" ... it's all pretty juvenile in my opinion. But the idiots who run my company have nothing better to do than sit around dreaming up bigger and better ways to make all of the employees' lives more miserable!

So here it is the middle of July, and I've only taken one sick day so far all year. I woke up this morning a little late. Oh ... I could have busted my ass and made it out the door on time ....... but sometimes ya just gotta say, "Not today." (are you with me Steve?)

So today I said, "Not today" and called in sick. Hey ... it's only the second time all year .... two sick days in 7 months ... I think that's pretty good. Some of the guys I work with have already racked up a baker's dozen by this time every year!

So .... I originally thought that maybe I would trek down to Fort Mill around noon to watch the Charlotte Knights in action. Today was a rare afternoon game and I thought, "hmmm ... what a great way to spend a day off .... kicking back, eating a hot dog and a bag of peanuts, drinking a few cold beers and watching a baseball game."

But then I stepped outside around 11:00am and had a sudden change of heart! Wow!
It feels like a 100 degrees out there today! As a matter of fact, the thermostat on my front porch..... which is in the shade, mind you, is reading over 100 right now! I realize of course that's not accurate .... but it sure feels that hot!

Needless to say, I decided to forgo the baseball game and instead piddled around in my shop which is at least partially in the shade and I have a good fan running in there!

At least I wasn't at work today! That's all that counts. Sometimes we all need an impromptu, spur of the moment day off.

NOT TODAY

Indeed!!!

3 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I loved that picture, too! so some are in color
some are black and white
and if you ask me if i'm going, well...
i might say "i might"
but NOT TODAY!
PS- Did I mention that the pic was PERFECT for that post?! ha

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger todd day said...

Yep .....
That's yours truly ... kickin' back with a cold one and nothing else better to do on a hot day!!!

A perfect way to spend an "unplanned" day off!

heeeeeeheeeeee

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Janet said...

heeheehaahaa!!!
soooo....todd likes to play hooky!
well, we all have to do it sometime, right?!
glad you enjoyed your day off...
(to bad about the reds...I turned it off after the cubbies hit that two run homer...so sad!)
FYI...did i ever tell you that we have a friend of the family who is an NL Ump? Jerry Layne #24...he was in cincy last night. His family lives maybe five miles from us. his pool is in the shape of a baseball diamond; complete with bases.) Too cute~heehee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home